Back to Top
Top Nav Content Site Footer
University Home
College of Engineering & Science

Dr. Charles E. Lucas

Dr. Charles LucasCurrent Position:

Professor of Surgery

Employer:

Wayne State University

Biographical Profile:

Dr. Charles E. Lucas is a native Detroiter who earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Detroit in 1959 and his doctor of medicine from Wayne State University (WSU) in 1962. He then did his residency training at the WSU Department of Surgery from 1962 through 1967 and remained on the surgical faculty. He was board certified in general surgery and in surgical critical care.

From 1957 through 1980, when the old Detroit General Hospital (DGH) closed, Dr. Lucas was mostly centered at the DGH for his clinical activities, teaching, and research. Following the closure of DGH in 1980, he moved to the Detroit Medical Center (DMC) where he became actively involved in the new Detroit Receiving Hospital (DRH), the Harper University Hospital (HUH), the Hutzel Hospital, and since 1980, the new Karmanos Cancer Hospital.

Dr. Lucas is a member of many local, national, and international professional organizations in which he frequently has served as an officer. He continues to be deeply committed to medical student and resident education. His research efforts have resulted in over 400 peer review articles, books, and book chapters

Back to Top